World Pilot Gig Championships

Alan & Julia
I just have to say that I've had the most memorable and magnificent sporting experience of my life - best decribed as The Great River Race on Steroids, I recommend it to all you giggers - you'll not regret it.

A million thanks to all those involved in the organisation, logistics, travel and "entertainment" of what I hope will be many more visits to The Scilly Isles. That we exceeded our expectations as a novice group of giggers is testament to both coaches and rowers alike - what a fantastic group of people, it was a privilege to share the unique experience with all of you.

Once again, thanks a million and here's to the next one - I promise no more Jethro jokes!
Alan & Julia Robinson

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Natalie
I absolutely second that!  Alot of orgainising was needed to for that to go so well and a very very big thank you to all those who did it - Fantabulous!
Well Done!

An extra special thanks to everyone for making Joy, Sharon and Row feel so welcome - they thoroughly enjoyed their holiday too and asked me to specially thank you all.

Nx

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Adam
I quite like the Jethro jokes...tried the blind man one today but didn't quite pull it off like you Al. But I third that post it was a sporting revelation! No more my body is a temple, for next year my body will be a fortress and we'll go back there fighting to be in the top 100 in the world. Up the Cutters!
Club Chairman

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Errolg
I Just wanted to jump on Alan's 'bandwagon' and second his comments and thanks to all those  involved especially to anyone involved in any aspect of the organisation. It went extremely from start to finish! Broken oar aside and the odd crab or two, ok five! I enjoyed every stroke and will endeavour to be available for next year, by which time we will no doubt be honed like well oiled machines ready to bring home a Trophy or two.

For once I can actually say it was 'all about the taking part' and not about the winning! But at least we gave it our best efforts.

Oh Alan by the way, I have a couple more laughter lines now due to you!

Cheers 'Roomey'

See you all on the water!

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Errolg
Adam, Well done to you for 'giving it MAX' in the midst of all us old timers!

Make sure that you spread the word amongst the YOUTH. Entice them with the stories you have about the lovely ladies from Clovely ensuring that your suntan lotion was spread evenly!

That should do the trick!

Great stroking!

Laterz.

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

I dont thyink anyone will be able to tell Jethro jokes like Alan save perhaps Jethro - thank the lord!  What a crack from start to finish!  Organisation was faultless, house was great, the drivers were heros particularly on the 10 hour return journey in Bank Holiday traffic.  The rowing was bl**dy hard but "amazing" - great coxing too!
Can't now believe we were there.

Natalie please let Ro know her "kitty cat" comment will go down in history!  and for those there I have 100's of photos but far be it from me to say whether we were leaning back enough ...... I am sure Mike will let us all have that feedback! Go cutters! x

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Alan Harding
I recall as we lined up for the ferry, there was a trophy being passed around called "Inch by inch". Not only is it a term used in racing and maybe other things! but I think also fits us as a team and club in terms of club building, friendships made and our learnings of gig racing.
May I thank everyone in the club who has got us to were we are today. We are not doing it by Inches, we have come Miles!

By the way does anyone know of a bird psychologist? As it rumoured that there are a growing number of Seagulls in the West country that think they are Penguins!

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Awesome is the word Ive been using to describe the weekend. memories of a lifetime. If I had bitten the bullet before - it's seriously full on now.

Huge big thanks to everyone for making it the amazing experience it was.

Eithne.

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Marion
I know its all been said already but yes. what an amazing weekend! Thanks to everyone involved - such a great bunch of people and such great memories! Did anyone not get a paper - I seem to have two? I'll bring one down to training on Sunday if anyone wants it?

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Mike Gilbert
Lovely comments and many thank you's to everyone - I won't single anyone out because everyone did something to make the weekend 'work' as well as it did.

Addicted to rowing? This was an 'overdose' that just made me feel great... well done for joining in the spirit of Langstone Cutters Gig Club and taking part and accepting the roles and working so hard at improving - even as we rowed and raced.

I think after we have worked through the next 12 months we can fully expect to target a top 100 slot.

An eex-IBM colleague of mine lives in Brittany and was watching BBC Cornwall outlook and saw us being interviewed and got in touch - so we got a message out!

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Kath
What a fantastic performance by the first 17 members to put their names down for the Scillies on the 1st Jan. Its great to be associated with such lovely and determined people. Still a lot to achieve both on and off the water, together we can accomplish anything. Hampshire's first Pilot gig club is on the map. Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make it such a memorable and fun weekend. Looking forward to taking some extra new faces next year and who knows, maybe 2 gigs and take part in the gig sailing race?
We will arrange a 'you show me yours and i'll show you mine' video and photo evening in the next few weeks for everyone in the club.
Brian and Kath

Re: World Pilot Gig Championships

Errolg
Oi Mr Harding!