Unit 3

Mike Gilbert
... GG's we are going to need Unit 3 for the Regatta Weekend as back-up store and for a spare fridge and overnight 'safe place'  She is nearly finished re-painting and a little push on this Saturday should see us over the line..

I will be there Saturday checking out the new Buoys and their moorings and trying them out in teh RIB first thing, then around 11.00 be in Unit 3 finishing off - all welcome to help... Mike

Re: Unit 3

Patrick W
This post was updated on .
Hi Mike,
           For your information on deploying the buoys can you see the attached correspondence I have had with Matt this week in the attached e-mails below.

I am on the mixed row tomorrow and finish about 12:30. I will pop into unit 3 a give you a hand if your still there at that time.

Regards Patrick

Hi Patrick,
Em said you were struggling with the buoys?
You know the rope end goes onto a 56lb weight?
Tell me what's up?
Matt

Sent from my iPhone

On 15 Jun 2017, at 5:27 pm, pwalsh2705 <pwalsh2705@aol.com> wrote:
Hi Matt,

Martin and myself inflated and rigged some of the buoys on Saturday but couldn't find the lanyards to secure the buoys to the "D" shackle and chain, you have answer that query with your last e-mail.

However, Alan, Chris, Brian and another Chris have apparently had a meeting the other night and I am not sure what's been agreed.  I have finished inflating and rigging all seven buoys, my concern is they are big and with the volume of air in them will the weights keep them in place, especially  if they are put out  at low tide with a shorten chain, as the tide rises the air in the buoy will compress? Do we need to deflate them before we deploy them?

I take your lead as I am not sure what the others are planning to do?

Regards Patrick

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: Unit 3

Mike Gilbert
Patrick thanks... Colin MacPhee has purchased 7 anchors to hold them in place.. the traditional way is to use anchor and chain on the sea bed, with a rope to the buoy from the Chain... as the buoy rises with the tide, theh chain is lifted bit-by-bit and acts a weight to keep it upright.

Chris Bream, Colin and I have laid the buoys before in Kiwi Spirit - our RIB. I was going to have an experiment Saturday Morning in order to see how many buoys we can get on the RIB as these are much bigger than the ones we used before... and the plan is to lay the course Saturday morning - which might need a bit of planning as the boats start racing as soon as there is water...

Colin is bringing the RIB down...  I will be over around 9.30 to launch her and see what needs to be done...

Re: Unit 3

Mike the buoys are designed to have at least 6kg of weight directly below the buoy, this keeps them vertical. The chain supplied by me is exactly the right length to give that much ballast, it cannot touch the mud as it's weight will decrease.
I understand how conventional buoyage works as you describe, I've laid about 400 in my time as a mooring contractor including all the ones off beachlands.
This application is for race buoys not boats at anchor. If you deploy the buoys as you describe you'll have to get the length exactly right for each depth, if you do it my way they will sit right regardless of depth.
I'm not there to help so good luck however you do it! Regards

Re: Unit 3

Mike Gilbert
OK... we haven't been able to get them to sit upright before..  so we will try your way round...

Also we will move them to Unit 3 on Thursday as the buoys to use teh double doors to get them in and out..

Re: Unit 3

Buoys will be buoys Mike, we'll need a warehouse soon.

Re: Unit 3

Just so you guys are aware... the "gifted" race buoys from Jules at the RNLI will be collected this evening along with a lot of other stuff and Paul plans to drop them off on Thurs when he comes for the clean up.

I have stopped asking Jules exactly what it is he is GIVING us as I have felt that a little rich so we will have to wait and see what it is now, and hope it is helpful.  I will update post when I see what it is.

Re: Unit 3

Right the deal on the Race Buoys from Jules is that I gave them to Paul Jones to take in his van and the deal is this.  In total I think there are 6 buoys and 6 anchors.  4 Buoys we can keep but not any of the weights or anchors they all have to be returned, along with the two race buoys marked MRSC (Mengham Rythe Sailing club) - already inflated.
Jules had a chat with Paul and basically explained exactly what Matt is suggesting and there is one of them set up that way i.e. weighted directly underneath and then attached to the anchor.
I have to admit it needs some work to sort out all the anchors and blow up the 4 we are allowed to keep too.  Paul is taking it to Patrick to figure out.  Thank you buoys (boys) and good luck
thanks for collecting them from the station Paul.