Trailer lights in Sea water

Andrew & Debbie B

On yesterday's recovery of the gig the trailer lights on Heart of Hayling's trailer went into the salt water for a short while - these are the fixed ones as opposed to the other trailer which has movable lights.

Maybe different tow-cars hold the trailer at different angles .

Given that salt and electrickery, light bulbs, copper wire and connectors don't get on well together, and we need to remain road-legal can I ask that the people conning the trailer into the water look both at the lights and the wheels and stop the driver in good time.

The wheel bearings will need dismantling  and washing out if they ever go in the salt water, and the brakes are liable to seize. Best not to even put the rims in the water if we can help it.

Its best not to use the handbreak at all, but to rely on chocks, as the handbrake is reluctant to 'come off', the handle moves but if it has been left on for a long time the shoes will seize to the drum, particularly if they have been in the water  - which is probably why we couln't move it by hand yesterday.

Re: Trailer lights in Sea water

Natalie
Just a thought but would it help in situations such as this to rinse the trailer with fresh water before returning it to park?  There are hosepipes at the top of slip way that would enable us to do that, but I am not sure if that makes matters worse or if it does help?

Re: Trailer lights in Sea water

Andrew & Debbie B
Hi Natalie - yes it would have been a good idea, and to be honest I forget, but I think its best to take the lens covers off first- there is a nice long fresh wate hose at the red.
( one of them is broken anyway which does not help- as the hole is on the top.

Brian and I are going to meet up later on today and have a look at them armed with loads of WD40, and check them out so as to be sure they work for Weymouth.

See you on Sat.

Re: Trailer lights in Sea water

All seems ok following a freezing cold bulb and plug clean up with Andrew on wednesday evening.
Brian