Spirit inside bow damage to floor

TimP
Hi

Not sure how to best describe this but this evening we managed to damage one of the supports under the triangular wooden inset in the bow of Spirit. The wooden inset still appears to be sound but please use with care especially if boarding over the bow at the North slip.

Regards

Tim

Re: Spirit inside bow damage to floor

MtB⚓️
Cheers Tim, good pickup, I'll take a look today.

Re: Spirit inside bow damage to floor

Tim, I've looked at the damage, see photo below, the support is snapped but just hanging on at one end; I'll try to get this patched up before the weekend.
As usual with these things it's a bit awkward, the screws in the support bar are sheared and still embedded in the rib...
Looking at the rubbing, this may have occurred a while ago.

Re: Spirit inside bow damage to floor

That's fixed, I epoxy fixed and screwed the batten back in and installed 3 little step supports to strengthen it.
Must have taken quite a force to shear the screws, it reminds us to step lightly and into the middle.

Re: Spirit inside bow damage to floor

Natalie
Thank you Matt for that prompt fix.

Matt that is a very good point actually, and this may already be happening in the Open Rows, if so great! BUT if not I think it should... or at the very least most definitely be covered during mixed sessions.

How to handle and look after our assets.
Here is my starter for 10 with regards to boat handling,  if there are other suggests let us know and we can suggest they are added to the appropriate sessions:

Don't pull the oars inboard so that the wood is exposed to the plastic between the thole pins.  Try to ensure that the it is the leathers that are in contact on that area at all times.  This will reduce wear and tear on the wood surrounding the leathers.

Try not to push the oars out so that tape around the leathers is scraped.  Rather place them down in a controlled fashion so that the leathers are placed on plastic directly.  It will help minimise the wear and tear around the tape/leathers and surrounding wood.

When stepping into to the boat try your best to do so, so that your landing foot is on the centre plank and not the edges.  If your legs are not long enough, then don't step... place your body weight over gently and then move to the centre as soon as is possible.  Use fellow crew as support and help each other. Never step onto the seats.

anymore....

Re: Spirit inside bow damage to floor

robina and chris
Yep

Make sure that the upright under the thwart is in position before sitting down

as it pulls the gunwhales inward which in turn will crack the boards.

They sometimes are knocked out of position.

CB

Re: Spirit inside bow damage to floor

All rowers should make interventions when they see any of these poor practices, the coxswain is also well placed to point them out.
Generally most of our Giggers love the boats and treat them very well.