SoLs Number 4 Oar

Greg Tutt
This evening we used Spirits oars, however, Kimberley noticed that there is a small crack on the 4 oar blade. This was left on the rack by itself and Hearts Number 4 oar was used instead.

Re: SoLs Number 4 Oar

MtB⚓️
Can you look at this please Clare?

Re: SoLs Number 4 Oar

Clare Gibbs
Sure, will aim to get down to unit this avo to have a reccy.

Re: SoLs Number 4 Oar

Clare Gibbs

I'm about a bit tomorrow, then off again at 5pm for a few daty, so can get the fix started at least.
Tools neeeded -
Large clamp
Glue (not convinced gorilla glue is waterproof)
Sand paper (fine)
Paint (to finalise seal)

I'll be rowing at 10:30/11:00, so could do it before/after and can pick tools up
AsBo Gibbs

Re: SoLs Number 4 Oar

Clare Gibbs
Glued and clamped the oar in two places yesterday. It's not the prettiest fix, but should be ok for now.
Waterproof glue used so painting not necessarily needed, although those oars are a bit shabby to say the least.

It wasn't easy to prize open the splits and the tools I used were digging into the wood, so had to push the worst split apart side ways just to get glue inside the split, then also tried to push as much in with a small scraper.

The splits look like they are occurring on a natural part of the make up of the paddle, see pic. So we will need to keep an eye on how it fairs.

Clamps back off now and in the unit under the desk.