Slipway

Hi, hope everyone is doing ok! Does anyone know if the small slipway adjacent to the boat park where the gigs are kept is usable for a small rowing skiff on a trailer? If so is it required to pay to use it? Apparently the big steep slipway we use for the gigs is £25 to launch and park as a visitor.

Having finished building my wooden skiff I’m looking for somewhere quiet to launch her for the first time; Southampton Water where I live right next to is just too rough for a first launch trial, and the River Hamble is busy to the point of insanity.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Re: Slipway

MtB⚓️
Mark
Use slipway in front of the Ship Inn, it’s public?

Re: Slipway

Thanks Matt, I’ll check it out👍

Re: Slipway

Mike Gilbert
Mark, slipway next to the Red and Green Compound is not currently used or maintained by MDL. People do drop kayaks and canoes in there and are supposed to pay... most are just cheeky park and go...

Dolphin RC, the Academy and LAR are using it for small sculling boats currently, via the Green Compound. This is the new Coastal Rowing Hub. I have partly cleared the shingle and we will be maintaining it. So you will see small boats on it, as we can go out in singles and co-isolating doubles.

If your planning a launch let me know, I can help... and maybe come out with you in another...

Meanwhile,  the public slip by the Ship is safe and easy to use at HW plus or minus 2hours... can be busy on a sunny day; or the Cutters launch from the bottom of Langstone High Street... where it is much quieter!

If your coming from Southampton, there is a big, sheltered slip at Broadmarsh. Small fishing boats use that one and it's free.

Mike

Re: Slipway

Hey thanks Mike that’s really helpful. The problem with public slipways on the river Hamble in particular is lack of parking for trailers! The foreshore carpark (next to the public hard) even has a sign banning trailers!!! I understood the Broadmash one to be chargeable for use by Langstone Harbour Board?
I will let you know if we end up using the one by the green compound. The idea was originally to just push her down the street to Beach Lane, Netley, where we live; but the conditions on Southampton Water whilst great for sailing have just been too rough for an untried new wooden skiff owing to the constant wind we seem to be having at the moment!
Mark

Re: Slipway

Mike Gilbert
...Mark, sounds like a wander to Langstone is the way forward.. let me know... just check the tides... 3 hours either side if HW at Northney and 2 hours either side at Langstone... Mike