Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Yes it is that time of year again, approaching Halloween and only 10 weeks before Christmas and just over 6 months to the Scillies 2019 World Pilot Gig Championships.  As a competitive Gig racing club, all regattas are important but this is the primary event in our rowing calendar.  This will be the first of many other emails on the subject, with more information over the coming weeks and months.

For our newer rowers we should say from the outset that the Scillies is a three day event.  There are Vets and Super Vets races on the Friday night with their own finals on Saturday morning  for the top 12 crews (new format for 2019).  And on the Saturday and Sunday there are four squad races, one long (1.8nm) and three shorter (1.2nm) – 2 per day.  Men and ladies race in each category. Next year’s event will be our seventh and with our ladies A finishing 26th this year we are hoping to do better and better.  This is also the last year that the weekend will follow the same format.  We have over the last three years taken three boats but in 2020 there will be a restriction of 120 boats so to aim for two boat entry we need to perform as well as we can in 2019.

Previous Results:
In the main event last year our Ladies A came a fantastic 26th out of 152 crews in their third race in Group C – if fog had not delayed the races on the Sunday leading to one being cancelled they would have been promoted  to Group B and have been at least 24th if not higher.  Our Ladies B came 88th, a drop from the previous year and our Ladies C came 113th, up 3 places from the previous year.   Our Mens A came 60th, our B’s 71st and our C’s came 125th out of 148 boats in the men’s category, doing well but not as well as in the previous year. We entered three Ladies teams in the Vets races and came  21st, 28th and 38th out of 44 boats.  Our men entered one Vets crew finishing 20th out of 41 boats and our Super Vets came 32nd out of 33 boats.

Selection:
In 2019 we want to capitalise on the Ladies success this year (and our success of three boats in the top 50 the year before) by achieving more across our squads all together.  To do this we need to start thinking now about next years squads/teams so we can start training both on and off the water. At this stage all we need to do is get an indication of who is interested in going to the Scillies and taking part in the selection process.  The criteria that we used for selection for 2018 will be reviewed by the rowing committee to ensure it remains fit for today but we don’t expect it to vary too much from previous years.  We also remain of the view that we need commitment not only for the Scillies but also for the regatta season so we will  ensure that our members who will not be heading to the Scillies (but who want to race in competitive regattas) are also remembered, join in the training, so that when we approach regatta season we want them and our Scillies squad members committed to and rowing in a good proportion of the 2019 regattas.

This year Chris and I will be working with Errol and Clair to progress both on and off the water training.  Please look out for Clair’s introductory workshops to periodization fitness training to ensure we are in the best shape possible and are able to maintain it for the regatta season beyond.  We will be revisiting our on water session plans from last season and ensuring that we get some rough water training in too. In terms of selection last year we invoked formal fitness tests in the Ladies camp in the form of 2 and 3k sprints which certainly influenced crew compilation and this year we will be looking for not only power to weight ratios in 2k tests to aid selection but commitment, performance, on water attendance, “fit” both physically, but most importantly,  within a crew. There will be a commitment level and some form of benchmark that we will expect mens and ladies to aim for in at least our A and B teams if they want to be selected for one of those squads for on the water crew training. We will also consider what form of benchmark we need for our C teams and Vets/Super Vets to ensure we continue to progress.

Accommodation and cost:
I have also been asked to remind you that another condition of representing the club at the Scillies is ensuring you have your  own accommodation (probably more difficult than being selected but essential) - travel can be booked a little later.  For our newer members we must point out that accommodation there is limited and if you wish to book a B & B, cottage or hotel then many are booked ahead at least one year in advance.  There are a limited number of camping spaces for rowers and Robina has posted on that separately.  If however  you want something more substantial over your head you need to be making those enquiries now. In addition to your travel & accommodation costs there is a fee of £50.00 that covers the cost of transporting the boats to the Scillies as an extra to our own travel costs.

Boats:
In terms of boats we know we will be taking this year if we get enough interest (normally not a problem) we will take Star of Northney, Spirit of Langstone and we hope Heart of Hayling too.

What do you want to sign up for?:
At this stage we just need to ascertain interest by asking you to post here if you wish to row and whether you are interested in Mens or Ladies squads only; Mens or Ladies Vets (over 40’s) only;  Mens or Ladies Super Vets (over 50’s) only or all three.   NB with the new Vets/Super Vets format it certainly gives us more options.

It would be good to understand who is interested so we can begin our selection discussions at the next Rowing Committee meeting on 13 November so responses please by Sunday 11 November. Any questions please just speak to one of us or Errol.

Come on all - new season – and this is the just the beginning!  Sign up now!

Chris & Paula
Mens & Ladies Captains

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Caitlin Walsh
I would like to be considered for Ladies please!

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Patrick W
Yes please for me. I would like to be considered for Men’s C and maybe super gets

Regards Patrick

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Kimberley
I would like to be considered for ladies please

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Ephillips
Ladies please - Esme

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Men C please!

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Jack Anson
Mens please

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Ladies and Ladies Vets please

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Lance
Mens and Mens vets please

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

michelle jones
Happy to be considered for any category pls

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

simon sprackling
Jax and I  would like to  be considered , B,s Cs Vets, whatever, wherever.Already getting excited !!
Simon S

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Ladies and supervets please

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

David Bence
Yes please...wherever my best fit is I am happy....Love the IOS and have been there many times.....but this would top them all

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Jane Cox
Yes please - ladies (not quite vets yet)

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Kath
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Rachel Norris

Yes please!!!!   Ladies &  vets / super vets. .  I WILL be fit in time!!!   Xxx

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Patrick W
I don't know about super gits Kath, more like old gits

Regards Patrick

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Clair Fennessy
Yes please ffor ladies and vets. Thanks

Re: Scillies World Pilot Gig Championship - 3-5 May 2019 - register your interest now!

Mike Gilbert
Mens Supervets please...
123