Rowing in the rain - can this be reviewed?

Jez

Rowing in the rain - can this be reviewed?

Jez
Dear Committee,

Would it be possible for the policy about rowing in the rain to be reviewed?

I am not aware of any guidance from  British rowing,  the CPGA, or the General Medical Council that prohibits rowing in the rain or advises that group exercise in the rain increase the risk of spreading  Covid.

I understand when this was decided, not to row in the rain,  the situation was different in regard to infection rates and vaccinations.

Best wishes

Jez

Jez

Re: Rowing in the rain - can this be reviewed?

Greg Tutt
Thanks for your very valid question Jez. I am sure there are a number of people at the club who also would like to know the reasons.

This subject is continually debated amongst the Committee and the last review was at our committee meeting on the 26th April. The situation is as follows:

Our coxes are required to wear a face mask and eye protection for the duration of the row. As a result, the masks lose their effectiveness when wet and visibility when wearing eye protection is impaired. For these two reasons there is a risk to our coxes and the rowers which we are not happy to subject them to.

In addition, the effectiveness of the sanitising spray we use to clean the boat and equipment is questionable when wet. The risk of contagion through touch is again something which we do not want to subject our coxes or rowers to.

I, along with the Committee, share your frustration at not being able to row when the conditions are wet. Of course we will continue to review, but I don’t think there will be any changes to this policy until COVID rules are relaxed further and the use of the above safety equipment and measures are no longer required.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards
Greg
Jez

Re: Rowing in the rain - can this be reviewed?

Jez
Hi Greg,

Thank you for the explanation
Jez

Re: Rowing in the rain - can this be reviewed?

Lee Farquhar
Thanks for posting the question and thanks for the explanation.
Living on the outer limits of the universe its a big deal to travel , turn up and not row for a light shower of rain.
Respect to everyone.