Our plans are underway for a safe return to rowing

Our plans are underway for a safe return to rowing

Jackie Tutt
Hi Juniors

You may have seen the below message on our social media platforms and we wanted to update the Junior page to keep you all in the loop. Our plans are now underway to safely return to rowing and we are allowed to start sometime after the 29th August. We plan to trial the new sessions with our adults first to ensure that we are working within the new guidelines and introduce our juniors once we are happy that we can provide a safe environment on and off the water. Please bear with us a little longer and look out for a Newsletter with more details soon.
Jackie x

Following on from British Rowing’s proposal to the Government, we have at last been given the green light to start planning our return to rowing at MDL Northney Marina. Our governing body, the Cornish Pilot Gig Association, have advised us that from 29th August rowing can commence. The delay in a return to our specific rowing is due to the number of rowers and the proximity of rowers within a pilot gig, compared to other types of craft which have been allowed an earlier return.
We are busy putting plans in place for a safe return working with extensive guidelines from British Rowing.  Initial contact has been made to gauge members interest and a new rowing diary will be created which will allow time for cleaning kit and will also make sure there are restrictions on how many members can visit the clubhouse and marina pontoons at any one time.
Matt has been working hard completing the refurbishment of our GRP gig C Shel, which along with Islander will be the main gigs used for our return. These plastic gigs allow more space between cox and stroke rower which is an important factor and can also be cleaned more efficiently.
Sessions will be limited to an hour with light training whilst members acclimatise themselves to getting back on the water. Initially sessions will be limited to members whilst we trial the new format and we hope to introduce new adult and junior rowers to the sport at some point thereafter.
As soon as we can we all look forward to meeting new rowers and new members and getting more people out on the water to share the joys of Gig Rowing at Northney Marina.