Our plans are underway for a safe return to rowing

Our plans are underway for a safe return to rowing

Jackie Tutt

Following on from British Rowing’s proposal to the Government, we have at last been given the green light to start planning our return to rowing at MDL Northney Marina. Our governing body, the Cornish Pilot Gig Association, have advised us that from 29th August rowing can commence. The delay in a return to our specific rowing is due to the number of rowers and the proximity of rowers within a pilot gig, compared to other types of craft which have been allowed an earlier return.
We are busy putting plans in place for a safe return working with extensive guidelines from British Rowing.  Initial contact has been made to gauge members interest and a new rowing diary will be created which will allow time for cleaning kit and will also make sure there are restrictions on how many members can visit the clubhouse and marina pontoons at any one time.
Matt has been working hard completing the refurbishment of our GRP gig C Shel, which along with Islander will be the main gigs used for our return. These plastic gigs allow more space between cox and stroke rower which is an important factor and can also be cleaned more efficiently.
Sessions will be limited to an hour with light training whilst members acclimatise themselves to getting back on the water. Initially sessions will be limited to members whilst we trial the new format and we hope to introduce new adult and junior rowers to the sport at some point thereafter.
As soon as we can we all look forward to meeting new rowers and new members and getting more people out on the water to share the joys of Gig Rowing at Northney Marina.

More information will follow in a Newsletter shortly.

Re: Our plans are underway for a safe return to rowing

Hooray!! Can’t wait😁😁

Re: Our plans are underway for a safe return to rowing

Kev Durrell
Great news I'm really looking forward to getting back on to the water, how ever I will be guided by my  doctors  has to the best way to approach this, is it within guide line's to take a passenger out or not???

Re: Our plans are underway for a safe return to rowing

Hi Kev
I have just emailed you separately with details
Hope you are well
Jackie x