No 4 Red Oar

Colin McPhee
Dear Matt

After the mixed rowing finished on Sunday as we were putting the roars away we noticed a split along the length of the shaft of the number 4 oar . We have placed it on the top rack which runs across the container

The crack looked remarkable similar to a crack which appeared in an oar a few weeks ago so I am not sure if this is a new crack or if the oar has just been put back with the others to be used .

IF you know how it could be repaired very happy to assist is a i Have a workshop etc . If there was a say we could open up the crack and pour thinned down glue into it and cramp it up it might work

Best Wishes

Colin
Colin McPhee

07793 838261

Re: No 4 Red Oar

Clare Gibbs
Hi Colin, I'll take a look tomorrow as I will be doing some other oar work. I have glue and the clamps too, so will see if it is fixable with what I have.

Re: No 4 Red Oar

Clare Gibbs
The split is quite substantial and requires a proper fix.
This oar will not be ready for use this coming weekend 1st/2nd Sept.

Plans afoot to fix

Re: No 4 Red Oar

Clare Gibbs
This oar will be out of action for this coming weekend, 8th/9th Sept.

It is currently in Colin's workshop and we plan to have it back in action soonest.

Re: No 4 Red Oar

MtB⚓️
🙋🏼‍♂️ 👍🏼 👩🏼

Re: No 4 Red Oar

Clare Gibbs
Work is underway............

That’s a lot of cramps! (Luckily Colin has a few)

Next stage - 24 hours to cure the adhesive, a rub down, a coat of varnish, replace leather, tape.

Re: No 4 Red Oar

well done both...

Re: No 4 Red Oar

Clare Gibbs
Oar fixed as well as it could be, hopefully it holds up to some rowing.
Colin will bring back the oar for use tomorrow morning.