Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Clare Gibbs
HOH oars have been out of action for a while getting some well deserved TLC and will be back in action for the Hamble river raid this coming Saturday.

They have been stripped back to bare wood, sanded over and over again, had lots of gluing and clamping, been primed, filled, undercoated, glossed and varnished.

They are not perfect, they were never going to be, but they are in a much better state to carry on with the hard work we put them through.

Martin is bringing them back on Friday evening, they will have white blades (due to time) and will get their blue go faster stripes painted on next week.

Here are some pics of before and during the TLC.

Before or befoar

During

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

TimP
Brilliant Clare

Do you by any chance undertake similar restoration work on ancient, tired, delapidated, rowers?

Cheers

Tim

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Well done Clare
What a fantastic job! Thank you for all your hard work and commitment on this oarsome task, you are a star xx
Jackie and Greg

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Brilliant  job. Clare I love the picture of your bedroom with the oars on the headboard.

No, but if you find anyone who does, let me know Tim as I could do with some TLC now too

Ha Ha Brian, they have been in residence in my dining room, it was hard enough getting them in there and they would have never gone round the landing to my bedroom

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Clare Gibbs
Final coat of Toplac on before Hamble, hope it's dry enough. Now to tackle getting the leathers on correctly, following Errol's instructions.
Thanks for dropping off the tape Emma

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

eimearoc
Ohh they look great Clare. Great job.

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

BevW
Fabulous   Well done you!! x

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Martin Evans
Clare has done a brilliant job, with help she told me and it would be a shame to use these tomorrow before they are finished but if there is no alternative  please go careful with them.
Laces and tape now finished and they are in my van. Let's hope I remember to bring the right one in the morning.

Well done Clare

Martin

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Thanks Clare, you took on a hard number there and won!
Good reporting too! Shows what goes into seemingly simple jobs.....

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Well done Clare that is a great job done for the good of all.  Thank you.

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Clare Gibbs
Touched up the paint today as there was some expected damage from the weekend (due paint not being dry enough).

They are currently in the container over two racks so they are not touching each other, to give them a chance to dry, before the racks are needed by the oars soon to be coming back from the Scillies.

Blue stripes planned to be done next week.

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Kath
Brilliant job Clare, you have worked so hard. They are a credit to you xx

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Just got back and saw Heart’s oars after Clare’s reno., amazing finish on the 2 pack varnish and blues/whites with no run-unders!
You managed lots of club participation in the grunty tasks and communicated well from the start!
Great project  AsBo Clare!

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Natalie
I second that ... they look fantastic.  I was too scared to use it!  Definitely a job to be proud of thank you Clare.

Re: Heart of Hayling oars back Friday after some TLC

Numbers added to HoH's oars, lacquered on, racked back in container.

To avoid damage can we rack all oars alternatively 3 blades first on end then 3 handles same end, opposite to the rack above/below? It gives all the blades more room and avoids clashes when moving them!