Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

    The Cutters via Chris Partridge, have invited us to join them on their....
    The now almost traditional Isle of Wight row will take place on Sunday Jan 4, when we will row from Lee-on-the-Solent to Cowes for lunch in the Union pub.
    It is a five mile row across open water so lifejackets will be worn. High water is about 10.30 so we will be rowing across the ebb both ways.
    The plan is to meet at the boat park at 09.30 for a 10.00 departure. We will be back at about 16.00.
    In the event that the weather is too aggressive for crossing the Solent we will fall back on Plan B, which is to launch at Warsash and row up the Hamble to the Horse and Jockey.
    So at this stage just a post to see if there is any interest  to taking one gig only ( the others are needed for Sunday morning training )
    This is a long row, its going to be weather dependent before we even drive a trailer out of the marina, so please only post if you are sure you are up to it...there AND back.

Cox Andrew
1 Jackie
2 Martin E
3 Stuart
4 Roz

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Martin Evans
Hi Andrew

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

Martin

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Greg Tutt
Yes please for me Andrew
Jackie not Greg

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

StuartJ
Hi Andrew - Yes please for me - sounds like a good adventure

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Need more support please ...4 places left

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Fionna Pullen
Happy New Year, I would love to do this but got a kids birthday party on Sunday (would much rather do this row), it sounds great, how about another time ( in warmer weather maybe) xxx

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Rozec
Just wondering this this was still gonna happen. If so would be interested!

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Andrew Berry
Roz - can you ring me pls four six nine one three nine

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Chris Partridge
Administrator
The Galley crew number is currently 13, depending on whether Nigel gets an exeat, which implies two galleys including two passengers, leaving one over.
So we can either supply up to three rowers for a gig, or between two and six people to populate three galleys.

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Rozec
Hey saw ur message! What's your area code - I'm not a hayling Island local! Ha ha

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Andrew Berry
Roz - 02392

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Hi Chris,

I now have 4 rowers for the gig plus me so would gladly accept 2 more rowers except they must be used to gig rowing - a crossing to IoW is not the time to encounter thole pins for the first time.

Will you be handling the notification to the coastguards ?

Shall we meet you at the Hovercraft slip ? What time ?

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Chris Partridge
Administrator
We have several hardened gig rowers in the crew so happy to help.
I will alert the coastguard as necessary.
See you at the Hovercraft slip at about 11.00.

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Chris Partridge
I'm sorry to say that Teri has this moment posted that she can't make it after all, which leaves us with only one rower to spare.
Can you cope with only five, or would you all prefer to take the other Solent galley instead of a gig?

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Hi Giggers, watch out for a large cargo boat aground off Southampton on your way to Cowes .as featured in the national news , must have been staged just for you have fun and enjoy your Sunday lunch at the Union.

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Andrew Berry
Brian...watch out for it ?
We treated it as a roundabout -what a mess that thing is, and very impressive even few miles away as we were.
The giggers did very well in our own galley,and we're all very grateful to the hospitality offered to the non-cutters members.
A great row was had by all.

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Martin Evans
It was a great row over to the IOW & the weather was perfect. Food & drink was good in the Union pub.
Thanks to Andrew for organizing it for the Gig club & the Cutters for letting those of us that aren't members use a galley as we were short of rowers. Thanks to Mike & Victoria for the hospitality afterwards.

Martin

Re: Gig Row to IoW 4th Jan

Martin Evans
Special thanks to Jackie for driving us to Lee On Solent.

Martin