C Shel rudder ropes and general condition

C Shel rudder ropes and general condition

TimP
Hi

Having had the pleasure of rowing CShel over the last two weekends she is feeling a little scruffy and unloved. CShel for all her faults and angled foot rests is potentially a really good training boat, she certainly takes effort to move but runs well once moving. However, the ropes to the rudder are, in my view too short and as a resultt sit in the muck and dirt that has built up in the bottom of the boat.

Could maybe do with a coat of whatever is used on the inside?

We hosed out the inside after the row but it does need a proper brush and maybe some tlc on the cracks that are beginning to appear.

As other boats head to the South West we will need her more and more so maybe some time spent tidying things up a bit now would be time well spent.

Cheers

Tim

Re: C Shel rudder ropes and general condition

MtB⚓️
Thanks Tim,
C-Shel is programmed for a full work over this year when it warms up; stretcher move, internal clean, crack repairs, paint internally as per Islander, paint externally as per other gigs but 2 pack epoxy. This will have to work around her rota with upcoming training.
The tiller ropes can be changed earlier, I think CB had access to a good cordage supplier, Robina has mentioned this before but another cox said it was ok, so 2:1 it needs a change.
The rudder pin repair I made 2yrs ago is now loosening again as the core is failing, that will need digging out with a deeper intervention or rebuilding totally.
I hope one day we get a nice toasty workshop to do all this stuff and that would make it a pleasure...
Let me know if you or anyone wishes to help on the above.
Appreciate you bringing this up through the correct channels.

Re: C Shel rudder ropes and general condition

Andrew Berry
3:1
Ben

Matt. Happy to help with this project as and when time allows.

Re: C Shel rudder ropes and general condition

MtB⚓️
Thanks Ben, can you extend the ropes on the tiller by adding a 12” extension at the rudder end? Just a temporary repair until we get some nicer stuff? The existing rope could do with leaving in a hot bucket of soapy too for cleaning it.
Failing that if you can find some good rope go for the whole thing?
I’ll catch up with you shortly and discuss other work.
MtB
Ben

Re: C Shel rudder ropes and general condition

Ben
I’ll take a look at it at the weekend. I have some pretty good rope.