⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

MtB⚓️
We’ll be installing a boat shelter soon to protect the wooden gigs from the elements during all seasons.
Please sign up below if you wish to be a part of the design and construction teams, all types of contributions welcome from anyone.

Thanks

MtB + AsBo’s

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Steve Woods
Matt,

 yep

Cheers
07788 277875
stevewoods583@btinternet.com

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Mike Gilbert
count me in...

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

jax sprackling
labour and kit at your disposal Bosun.

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Patrick W
Will help out when I can Matt

Patrick

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Thanks crew!
I propose to insert 4 steel 4” tubes in the ground to 1m depth
Get 4 lengths of 3” pipe and weld tabs at the top for connection of the sails; add future tabs in case the area gets more sails at another time, stagger connection points to give a good foil shape.
Use the existing container for 2 more connection points, maybe move the container towards Mikes area one container width, if Mike is ok with that, so we hire another pitch from MDL.
Galvanise removable 4m poles.
Insert poles
Attach rectangular sails and tension.
In the winter we may include curtains to stop horizontal rain, install tabs for this before galvanising.
We also need some ladies on this team.

Comments?

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Kimberley
Happy to help matt

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Jane Cox
Happy to be part of the team Matt

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Great, thanks Kimmy and Jane.
I’ve been online and checked out a few shades, the ones that are UV and waterproof are 160gsm, I’d like to go commercial spec and I cannot find anything thicker, if anyone can find out more then that would be a good start.
I was thinking of a darker colour like blue or dark grey to blend in with the surrounding area and not scare the birds.
How about this one?
https://www.primrose.co.uk/kookaburra-6mx5m-rectangle-charcoal-waterproof-woven-shade-sail-p-121830.html?src=range_table

I’m thinking two of these and maybe a triangle in front of the container  door also.
Arrange the run off to go from the middle of the gigs to the bow and stern with a slight overlap.

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Ivor
Happy to help. Is there any criteria from the marina we must meet?
Al

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Al
Happy to help when I can !

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provisione

TimP
Hi not an engineer but, a couple of thoughts

Is there any merit in having the container in the centre with the shelter either side maybe even going over the container to potentially keep it cooler?

Would it be an option to store oars in racks in the boats or on the outside of the container?

Cheers

Tim

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Thanks Ivor, proposal given to the marina by Brian and Alan, criteria set as such.

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provisione

Hi Tim, good ideas,
That can be done as future works for further expansion.
The idea is to get protected storage, so the oars could be outside, as long as security is ok.

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

BevW
Very happy to help too if there is a need for totally unskilled labour??

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Andrew Berry
Don't be so modest Bev, you built a pagoda only last week and laid 7 slabs in line to make a path...

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

You are too hard on yourself Bev!
Nice to have a Mixed team for this, otherwise several blokes, some big poles and flappy sails, what could go wrong.

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision

Happy to help with this task Matt
Jackie

Re: ⛱ Boat Shelter Provision