Another fond memory from 2017

TimP
Well another Saturday in the settee grateful for my health and reflecting on the amazing efforts of everyone fighting this awful virus I find myself really missing everything to do with the club so thought it was time to share another fond memory from 2017

Following on from the serious winter training regime, twice a week on the water (big shout out for Aileen and Anita for leading/putting up with us) supplemented by mid week team off water and a variety of individual fitness activities the 2017 Men’s B crew in Spirit of Langstone found themselves on or rather off of the Isles of Scilly!

The short clip below filmed by Kath Brett from a very unstable spectator vessel captures the end of the second Nut rock race Group E I think.

It was an amazing race, the B crew had been drawn to the far right of the start line which on the day was clearly the right place to be. It was almost a case of rowing downhill at times which enabled the crew to be in a position to challenge for the top positions.

The video picks up the final minutes with Spirit in third/fourth position needing to finish in the top two to reach Group D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mmeudi46h4&feature=share

The crew had overwinter developed a special call for speeding up the stroke rate as an all in effort, if needed, and in this race it certainly was thus allied with some awesome coxing and steerage from Anita enabled us to nick second place in the group and therefore promotion to group D.

The coxes do far more than drive the crew, they have to put the boat in the right place to deliver results!

For those of you (like me) who are fascinated by such trivia the stroke rate for the end dash was up around 50!

Cheers

Tim